I am NOT a morning person, nope not at all. Getting out of bed before the sun comes up is a real struggle for me but I do it every day. Do I have too? No, but I do. I get up every morning and workout before anyone else is awake and I do this because it is my ME time.
This is how my morning goes
- First alarm goes off (snooze)
- Second alarm goes off (snooze)
- Occasionally a third alarm goes off (don’t judge me)
- I have this conversation with myself “Come on Ashley, it’s time to get up! This is your “YOU” time and you need this. You always feel so much better once you do, come on get up! You need this time to connect with your body, to talk to spirit, to energize..GET UP! Ok, don’t get up you’re going to feel sluggish and “off all day… FINE I’m UP!”
- Reluctantly I get up and walk to the other end of my house where my office/zen den is.
- I throw out my yoga mat, open my computer, and start my workout. I usually do 3 or 4 days of yoga and one day of higher intensity. Currently Boho Beautiful and Patrick Beach are my favs!
- After my workout I lay on my mat and name at least 5 things that I am thankful for and send love to at least 3 people.
- I sit up and I mediate for a few minutes.
- I open my eyes rejuvenated, centered, and balanced.
- I say good morning to my dogs and I get ready for my day!
This routine is so so sooooo important for my well-being…even the little pep-talk every morning! I have learned to enjoy my mornings because it is time to connect with myself. No one is awake. The birds are hardly chirping when I start and by the time I am done I usually am blessed to see a cardinal, blue jay, or the GIANT hawk that has been living in the forest behind my house.
Self-love, self-care, and time alone are essential for anyone, but especially a sensitive or intuitive such as myself (and you)! I invite you to incorporate your own daily self-love routine even if it’s only 5 minutes a day!
Here are some self-love ideas!
- Mirror work. Spend some time in front of the mirror telling yourself how awesome you are!
- Meditate. Yep, there’s that “M’ word again. Spend time in silence listening to your breath, do a guided mediation, or just go for a walk and connect to your breath!
- Wake up and spend some time with yourself before the rest of the world wakes up!
- Stay up after everyone goes to bed and do a craft!
- Take yourself shopping!
- Have an at home spa day for yourself once a week! Take a bath, paint your nails, do a face mask!
Self love doesn’t have to cost money and time with yourself is the biggest investment you can make! Get to know yourself again, spend some of that energy you put towards others on the one person you can’t get away from…YOU. I wasn’t taking my own advice and I had what is called a spiritual burn out! Since then I have been having “ME” time at night in addition to my morning routine!
Life here on Earth gets crazy and it gets hectic and we start running out of time. With that said, I will leave you with this…